Posts for: January, 2018
Preventive care is the best route to a healthy smile. In other words, keep ahead of potential dental and gingival (gum) issues before they even start. At Mulka Dental, your Redford area family dentist in Livonia, MI, and her dedicated staff work hard to provide families with the at-home skills and in-office treatments which promote durable bright smiles that last. Here's the preventive protocol which Dr. Laurie Mulka advises her patients use faithfully.
Preventive care targets plaque
The American Dental Association (ADA) advises that children through senior adults (and everyone in between) brush their teeth carefully twice a day with a soft brush and fluoride toothpaste (over the age of three). Take your time, and spend at least two minutes at the sink, thoroughly, but gently, brushing all tooth surfaces. Mom and Dad, please supervise young children to ensure the best possible results.
Additionally, the ADA says daily flossing removes the plaque, or sticky food residues, missing by brushing alone. Plaque contains oral bacteria which secrete acids which decay tooth enamel and cause destructive gum disease, a major cause of tooth loss. It's also a precursor to many systemic health issues such as diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and dementia.
Plus, your six-month visits to Mulka Dental add professional skill to your at-home hygiene. Your hygienist scales your teeth and gum line to remove additional plaque and hard tartar.
Preventive care includes regular examinations
After your thorough cleaning, your Redford area family dentist examines your teeth and gums to assess for:
- Gum disease (including periodontal probing, a measure of gum pocket depth)
- The condition of fillings and other restorations
- Oral cancer (detected early, cure rates are between 80 and 90 percent, says the Oral Cancer Foundation)
- Proper bite and alignment
- Aesthetic smile needs
She may recommend fluoride treatments to strengthen tooth enamel and to reduce dental sensitivity. Plastic sealants, applied to deeply grooved chewing surfaces, protect children's teeth against decay for about ten years. Both services are inexpensive and great insurance against tooth decay.
Preventive care stresses common sense
Your Redford area family dentist teaches some dental care strategies that are easy for everyone to use regularly. They include:
- Drinking several glasses of water a day to avoid dry mouth and to cleanse teeth and gums.
- Stopping smoking or chewing tobacco (to prevent oral cancer, dental staining, gum disease and toxic systemic effects).
- Consuming a low-sugar/carb diet, high in fiber, protein, and calcium.
- Wearing a custom-made mouth guard (available in both hard and soft materials) to protect against sports injuries and teeth grinding (bruxism).
At Mulka Dental, Dr. Mulka and her team want to preserve your best-looking and best-functioning smile. Why not contact the office in Livonia, MI today to schedule your routine exam and hygienic cleaning? Call (248) 482-7020.